Because Calluna Events is located in Boulder, CO, we have had quite a few brides over the years that have wanted to do “Green” or Eco-friendly weddings. Now more than ever brides are trying to be environmentally aware as they plan their big day! Some of the things we have helped with are:
- environmentally friendly invitations (recycled papers, biodegradable, soy based inks etc.
- Developing website to cut down on the inserts needed in invitations (maps, directions, hotels, info)
- bio degradable products for rehearsal dinners (plates, napkins, cups, utensils) – think outdoor BBQ style
- purchasing Carbon credits to offset the entire wedding or the guests’ travel to the wedding
- donating to a charitable organization in lieu of favors. Many environmental organizations top this list as well as the Heifer Project is popular.
- Using local and/or organic flowers (the bride has to be very flexible with colors and types of flowers because the growing season locally will determine what’s available)
- purchasing local produce and meats/cheese. Working with local farms or ranches to buy local where possible.
- Providing all organic foods
- Organic or bio dynamic wines.
- Cutting down on printed products such as programs, menus etc.
- Recycling or buying a used wedding dress or bridesmaids dresses in order to lessen the impact on the environment.
- Providing shuttles for the guests so that they aren’t all driving to and from the wedding venue.
- Providing recycling and composting at weddings (some of the caterers I work with do this)
donating left over food and flowers to the local nursing homes or shelters.
There are other areas but this is just a collection of things that we’ve done.