Tonight I attended the ABC (Association of Bridal Consultants) local meeting in Boulder, Colorado where I got to network with many of the Boulder and Denver based wedding planners. I’ve been a member of ABC since I started Calluna Events in 2004 and it’s a great organization for it’s education, certification and networking.
Wendy Foster from TDA Design, a Denver based decor company, gave a presentation at the meeting on how to incorporate decor into your wedding without breaking the budget as well as told us trends she is seeing for this year. Here are Wendy’s thougths:
Decor you can use without breaking the budget
1) Lighting – use lighting to completely change the mood of the room. Up lights, or cans set on the floor, can create dramatic results for very little money.
2) Colors in linens – use colored linens to create a “wow” effect and give a room color and punch as guests walk in. 3) Create groupings – use your cake and flowers to enhance your decor and create a focal spot.
Trends for this year
1) Alternative seating – lounge style seating arrangements, couches, ottomans create an intimate and inviting environment
2) Colors – pinks, platinum, pale green and yellows are hot for the summer. For the fall look for fuchsias, purple, lavender, turquoise and slate
3) “green” events – brides are wanting to use decor in an eco-friendly way. Flowers are not the most environmentally friendly so think of centerpieces that use rocks, floating candles, or locally grown flowers. Linens, draping and other elements are all reusable decor options that you can rent from TDA Design.
4) phenomenal new linen colors and patterns
5) LED- battery operated lighting creates a lovely mood.